-

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New Media and The Ladies

It is with the style of Samuel Adams, the passion of Patrick Henry and within the framework of our great Constitution that many of us are using our pens (keyboards) as swords and the ballot box as our battlefield. We work toward returning this nation to greatness. The combination of journalists, media personalities, bloggers and just regular folks on Twitter and on blogs makes a perfect mix for an army that we conservatives are building in preparation for the literary storming, the taking over and the restoration of the shining city on a hill. More and more, women are becoming a bigger presence in this army.

I'm an old Reagan guy. I'm 46. I started college when Reagan was first elected president and I was on the move in the corporate world as a young man in my 20's by the time Reagan left office. It was the greatest eight years I've ever seen our country experience. I always wonder what it would have been like to have the internet then.

I came from a generation that was used to being ruled by old white guys. But, I'm also from a generation whose views on minorities and women were evolving and maturing. Twenty years ago, if you asked me what the "next Reagan" would look like, I probably would have told you another old white guy, if there was ever another one at all. Yet, if you asked me if I would ever vote for a woman or a minority, I would have told you yes, but only if that person had the right political philosophy.

Something happened when Sarah Palin hit the scene. It brought out women like Ann Coulter, Monica Crowley, SE Cupp, Mary Katharine Hamm, Laura Ingraham, Michelle Malkin Andrea Tantaros. And although I know that some of these people have been around prior to Palin, those who were just seem to stand out more now. I thought about this last night when I saw Monica Crowley on The O'Reilly Factor. I realized that I am becoming a fan of more and more women, even though I tend to be more of a Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin kind of guy.

I can tell you this, though. As a guy, I don't mind having the ladies involved in the cause, if you know what I mean. It doesn't hurt to see a pretty face on the TV screen or Twitter avatar, even if the true beauty is being displayed in the content of what is being said or written. Call it "ideological hotness." Whatever it is, it is a very attractive feature on a woman.

But seriously, I'm a Palin supporter for ideological reasons, not because she's a woman. However, what she is doing for women is a great thing. And, I do believe that since the man isn't handling the checkbook well right now, it might just be time to give it over to the woman, politically speaking.

Is it because of Sarah Palin that women are motivated to become more involved in the media and punditry? Has conservatism become cool again for the ladies because of her the way it was for the guys when Reagan was around? Only the women can answer these questions. I'm just a guy. And yes, it is a bonus that Sarah Palin is "ideologically hot."

Speaking of hot, there are the great and talented ladies I've gotten to meet on Twitter like Karen Allen, Jedediah Bila, Tammy Bruce, Rachelle Friberg, Camille Friend, April Liesel, R.A. Mansour and Adrienne Ross. They have become people I consider to be "Twitter Friends." Without the existence of social media like Twitter, I would not know these wonderful ladies who have become like celebrities to me as well as friends because the new media has connected them with people like Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity and Greta Van Susteren. They have gotten to become "Twitter Friends" with some pretty big names as a result.

Karen Allen runs PalinTwibe Blog. Rachelle and Camille often guest on the Eddie Burke show on KBYR in Alaska as well as on internet radio. Adrienne Ross became friends with Sarah Palin after joining Team Sarah and even assisted her at her book signing in New York. She writes for Conservatives4Palin as well. April Liesel is host of the People Power Hour on blogtalk radio. She is also "skype" friends with Greta Van Susteren among other media people. Jedediah Bila is a writer who I first met on April Liesel's show. Tammy Bruce is a radio talk show host who appears on The O'Reilly Factor as a contributor. Tonight, Jedediah Bila will be on Hannity's Great American Panel. R.A. Mansour founded Conservatives4Palin and now works for SarahPac.

The new media has opened a line of communication among political activists, writers and journalists to the extent that we are now a mixed bag of people where someone like me can be tweeted by Newt Gingrich, Mary Katharine Ham, Greta Van Susteren or Andy Levy. I get to tweet with people who appear on radio shows or Fox News. We can now build an army that literally communicates with each other whether we are Sean Hannity or just little ole me.

Which brings me back to Monica Crowley on the O'Reilly Factor last night. I realized then that she is not on Twitter. I would have loved to have tweeted "@MonicaCrowley Nice! You kicked Alan Colmes' ass." She has a blog, but no Twitter account. You know you're getting old when the purpose of "trolling the internet for babes" is to give a shout out for beating a liberal on a talk show debate.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm still a guy. And as you ladies know, we guys are pigs. While I was brought up to always respect a lady, when your back is turned I'm checking out your blog. When you're not looking, I'm checking out what you're getting off your chest or to see if your argument has "legs." If Rodney Dangerfield was here today, he'd tell you "I love girls with big facts." Ladies reading this are probably thinking of using Ted Knight's line to Dangerfield in Caddyshack on me right now. "You! You're no gentleman." To which I would respond as Rodney did. "Hey, but I ain't no doorknob either."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews