Since the turn of the last century, the progressive and socialist movements have operated under cover. They weaved themselves into what appeared to be more mainstream causes like the labor movement, the environmental movement and the peace movement. Their intention from the very beginning was to infiltrate the institutions, the culture, the academia, the government and the media. Slowly and methodically, progressives gained powerful positions in journalism, in universities and in elected office.
Bill Steiger-wald of the Tribune Review published an interview with David Horowitz, who wrote the book The Shadow Party with Richard Poe. "What they want is a form of socialism," Horowitz said. "They don’t articulate it as such, but if you read their statements and as we show in the book, their agenda really is socialist." The Shadow Party was funded by George Soros and has been in operation since prior to 2004.
It goes beyond that, though. During the 1960's, the radical movement led by Saul Alinsky was designed to marginalize normalcy. The bedrocks of our society such as the family and the belief in God came under attack by progressives and radicals just as the anti-war hippie movement was ratcheting up. The ability to get young people to question their religious and social beliefs led to an acceptance among those in the counter-culture of alternative lifestyles. Despite their pleas for fairness, the goal was not to gain acceptance for alternative lifestyles, but rather for alternative lifestyles to gain prominence over conventional lifestyles. It wasn't enough to be tolerant of alternative lifestyles; it was more important to despise traditional lifestyles.
Originally, progressives would have continued their burrowing underground which was already weakening the surface soil of our cultural and political lives had Hillary Clinton gone on to win the nomination in 2008. The movement's strategy can be likened to the question "how do you boil a frog?" The answer: slowly, so that the frog doesn't realize it and jump out of the pot.
Barack Obama was a lightning bolt to the progressive movement. He brought a level of excitement that the Left had never seen before. His presidential candidacy was on fire and people were hanging on his every word. The liberals' political messiah had arrived and the moment could not be wasted. In their excitement, socialists and progressives saw the Obama movement as the legitimizer.
Once Barack Obama was able to confront Joe the Plumber with "don't you think the wealth needs to be redistributed?" and there was no blow back, the closets were opened and the commies all came pouring out. They were openly socialist now. There was no longer a need to window dress it in liberal speak. The progressive movement became so excited that in their premature infatuation with Obama, they shot the works rather than continue their patient pursuit of socialism.
So while many in the Republican party and the conservative movement continued to believe that the silent majority, the grown ups if you will, would always outnumber the freaks, the undercurrent was eroding the political ground underneath them. The radicals had spent decades working for their moment and they thought they got it in 2008 when Barack Obama beat a gentile John McCain and a muzzled Sarah Palin. The conventional thought even in that election was to take the high road and the American people would ultimately vote for the grown ups.
It didn't happen this time.
Suddenly, the conservative movement was forced to wake up and confront what was really happening. In their excitement, the Left turned the heat up too quickly on the frog. Conservatives figured it out. They learned the Alinsky rules for radicals. They read the opponent's playbook and put themselves on equal footing again so that they could take them on and beat them at their own game. The emergence of the Breitbart "Big" sites, the rise in the number of conservative blogs and websites and the use of new media like Facebook and Twitter became the method by which the Right would now be able to more effectively take on the Left.
The Tea Party became the movement that would push back on the Shadow Party and the progressive movement. Ordinary citizens who were now properly alarmed by what these sinister leftists were up to got off their couches and took to rallies and town hall meetings across the country. The frog had jumped out of the pot.
Now that we know how it happened and why it still happens, we can work toward defeating it. It's important for everyone to know that there are deep roots to this movement. Everyone needs to watch the video at Voting American. It will open your eyes. It's not conspiracy theory and it's not alarmist. It's based on information gathered by a man who attended a communist meeting over 15 years ago. The video explains how the communist goals, first discovered by Cloen Skousen who wrote "The Naked Communist" in 1958 were being achieved.
CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALSIt's pretty frightening when you realize how many of these goals have already been achieved.
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev's promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers' associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to "eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms."
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. "Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art."
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them "censorship" and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as "normal, natural, healthy."
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with "social" religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a "religious crutch."
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of "separation of church and state."
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the "common man."
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the "big picture." Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture--education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use ["]united force["] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
The goal of attaining a socialist new world order requires undermining and collapsing the American system. The first step is to fundamentally transform America into a European social style democracy. The European model is characterized by a society where roughly half the people pay into the system and the other half take from the system. Considering that nearly half of all Americans now pay no income tax, you could say they probably have already achieved this first goal.